Saturday, January 23, 2010

I've been a negligent poster...sorry about that

So...it has been awhile since my last post and I really do feel a bit guilty about that since it isn't from a lack of topics or interest; rather I simply find it difficult to sit still and write things down...In any case now that I have managed to begin I shall endeavor to be as interesting as possible!

To begin, my trip to Tokyo Disney Sea was absolutely awesome! We visited on December 24th so the entire park was resounding with Christmas festivity which was both very comforting yet slightly surreal. Even more interesting was the general demographics of my fellow park goers...this place is DEFINITELY a couple spot, especially on Christmas Eve! (Many people spend Christmas Eve and/or Christmas Day with their significant others)

It really was fascinating and fun to see that the vast majority of the people at the park were young couples obviously out on dates. There were actually very few children or families which was kind of nice, giving the park a very relaxed and slightly more mature feel (reflected in the decorations and attractions, also they serve alcohol) from the Disney parks I've previously visited in the states. In any case, the rides were fun, the decorations really well done, and the lights show and parade were beautiful. I definitely enjoyed my time at the park and feel that it was an experience that I wouldn't really have been able to replicate at one of the Disney parks elsewhere. Though I understand that if you do want the Disney "family" experience that Tokyo Disneyland suffices quite well.

My trip to Nikko and Ashio was also quite worthwhile, the scenery was beautiful and it snowed the whole first day! It was absolutely freezing but we did go to an onsen so we managed to stay warm. I saw lots of things but to be honest one of the most interesting moments was glimpsing a wild monkey wandering by the road! I learned a bit more about Japan's native beliefs and practices as well as having a fairly interesting bonding experience with my professors and fellow students.

My classes have been going fairly well though I am looking forward to finishing with my exams soon and beginning my 2 month long spring break! I will be returning to the states for a bit of the holiday but first I may get the chance to take a short trip out of Tokyo to some of southern Japan(I'm not entirely sure where yet). I'm very excited since Tokyo does get a bit cold for me in December and January and I really want to spend some time with my friends hanging out on a Japanese beach. I am trying not to get my hopes too far up since I'm not totally certain we're going but I really hope we do make it down south for a bit!

Additionally, I recently saw a friend of mine perform with a local band (Harsh Jokers) in a really cool area of Tokyo that I've spent a fair bit of time in, Shimo-Kitazawa. Not only was it a great show with lots of energy in a cool venue but I definitely suggest spending time here for any reason or no reason at all. It boasts tons of awesome restaurants, shopping, and music, at reasonable prices and is a great place to waste a few hours or afternoons! Plus there aren't nearly so many gaikokujin, and thus tourist traps, as there are in the more famous and crowded areas of Tokyo.

I've also been sucked in by the awesomeness of Book-Off, a chain of stores selling cd's, dvd's, books, and video games. They're located throughout Tokyo generally by train stations and I love, love, love their 500 yen and 250 yen cd sections...it's quite fun to collect cd's since I spend a good bit of time on the train and like to be able to update my ipod with music, both Japanese and western.

Lastly, I had dinner at an awesome organic restaurant called Piazza Eco Farm Cafe in Harajuku 3 days ago. I feel obliged to mention it because while there are countless unique restaurants and eateries throughout Tokyo and Japan this place stuck out as a relaxing and DELICIOUS oasis in the center of a very busy and chaotic area of Tokyo that really appealed to me on a personal level...

With that, I do promise to try to update a little more often in the future and also I understand that many of my readers are having difficulty leaving comments. If this is the case, please feel free to email me (baranowski85@gmail.com)since I do enjoy the idea of feedback and tailoring this rather lax venture towards what people want to hear more about it!

1 comment:

  1. Fascinating, a different experience from my experience in Kobe in 1977. How about more pictures?

    ReplyDelete